Arthritis Drugs - Is the Cure Worse Than the Disease?
Research is always ongoing into new and better medications for arthritis which is a very good thing. But where is all this leading us?
- Of course we need effective pain medication for arthritis to enable sufferers to live normal lives.
- But are all these expensive medications controlling the disease or simply masking the symptoms?
Here's a "quick and dirty" lowdown on what's currently available both "over the counter" (OTC) as well as on prescription only.
For Mild Situations of Arthritis -
Some milder cases of arthritis never make it into the doctor's surgery. Indeed the sufferer might not even be aware that they are suffering from arthritis at all. They may be feeling a few aches and pains" which usually they put down to senior years or even the cold damp climate.
- That may be all well and good, but even OTC medications can be dangerous if taken over a long period of time.
- The thought of more will be better" can also happen when the pain gradually becomes worse.
- This can lead to serious side effects.
- OTC medications include aspirin and ibuprofen.
- These kinds of drugs can cause intestinal bleeding and kidney damage in large doses.
- Aspirin also destroys vitamin C in the body leading to lower immunity.
For More Advanced Arthritis-
By this kind of stage most of us have consulted their doctor. Prescription medication at this time normally consists of theNonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or perhaps NSAIDS. These do target the pain and irritation of joint disease symptoms but have a range of side effects including stomach upset, abdominal pain, and ulcers.
People with high blood pressure, those with kidney difficulties and especially people who have heart problems are especially at risk with NSAIDS.
- Enter the COX-2 inhibitors.
- These have been designed for people whose stomach problems can not tolerate the above mentioned.
- Unfortunately the risks stay for chest pain, heart attack and stroke victims.
Can Low carb Diets Cause Gout Even though it s unclear on how someone can decrease their risk of pseudogout, so far as gout is concerned, the best way to reduce the risk is to overcome your diet and also your weight. If you are overweight, it is imperative that you know there is...
For Advanced Arthritis-
For those suffering extreme pain and swelling the medical profession brings out the heavy artillery - Corticosteroids. These types of drugs contain man made cortisone and can be injected directly into the affected joints or taken orally.
- Long term use of these may produce sleep problems, weight gain, osteoporosis and loss of defenses.
- Available too to those for who nothing else seems to work are usually Biologic Response ModifiersBiologics).
- Biologics are derived from live resources, plants and animals and are not manufactured chemically.
- They are mainly used for sufferers of Rheumatoid Arthritis and are given intravenously or by injection.
- They cannot be drawn in tablet form.
Gout Home Remedies - How to cure Gout at home
Using these natural home remedies you can get rid of Gout. Read more at http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-gout.html ...
- Biologics suppress the immune system which leaves people prone to infections.
- They are also very expensive and can't be stored without freezing.
Also available mainly to Rheumatoid Arthritis patients areDisease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDS) These work by stopping the immune system from attacking the joints. DMARDS may take up to three months to reduce symptoms nevertheless they do help to stop joint damage despite the fact that they can not repair any earlier damage.
Although these kinds of drugs are a boon to many, they work mainly at masking the symptoms of arthritis and cannot reverse the damage already brought on. Most people thinks this is impossible, it isn't!
Natural treatments for arthritis are readily available and can significantly stop some cases of arthritis, relieve pain and inflammation and in some cases, reverse joint damage.
Definitely Worth a Try!
About the author:Find out there about the healthy way to deal with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout and fibromylagia. Visit: http://www.natural-arthritis-medication.com and sign up for our part course. Wendy Owen is a health researcher and author.